The aim of the course is to familiarize students with the functions, structure and basic principles of geographic information systems (GIS) including terrain mapping. Emphasis will be placed on the use of open-source GIS in environmental risk research and practical application of systems.
Therefore, required basic knowledge of environmental disciplines and elementary computer skills are required. It is required to have own laptop (regardless of the operational system) and recommended to have a suitable device (smartphone, tablet) with the internet connection for field mapping.
The lectures, practices, related teamwork, and discussions will focus on
- Basics of Cartography and Geoinformatics
- Cartographic Visualization
- Principles of GIS, Use of Geographical and Ecological Data in GIS
- Fundamental Analysis in GIS and 3D Visualization, Creation of Thematic and Topographic Maps
- Fundamentals of Remote Sensing
- Introduction to Citizen Science and Participatory Mapping
- Field Mapping Project
The integral part of the course is a field trip to landscape protected area where we harvest our obtained knowledge during complex fieldwork combined with an excursion.
- Early Bird: EUR 550; Deadline: 30 April 2021
- Regular: EUR 600; Deadline: 31 May 2021
Lecturers: RNDr. Jakub Trojan, Ph.D., Mgr. Matyáš Adam, Ph.D.